|Friday Funnies at Reason|
- Pot for me, but not for thee: Obama's DOJ encourages federal prosecution of medical marijuana
Hit & Run: DOJ Says Prosecuting State-Authorized Medical Marijuana Suppliers Is 'Entirely Consistent' With Not Prosecuting Them
- Anthony Gregory discusses why leftists so dislike libertarians (except at NYU)
LewRockwell.com: Why the Left Fears Libertarianism
But libertarianism, however weak its influence today, is a much greater long-term threat to the left than is any form of conservatism, and the leftist intellectuals sense this even if they can't articulate why. Leftism, whether they know it or not, is a distorted permutation of the classical liberal tradition. The statist left did their deal with the devil - the nation-state, centralized authority of the most rapacious kind - supposedly with the goal of expediting the liberation of the common man and leveling the playing field. More than a century since the progressives and socialists twisted liberalism into an anti-liberty, pro-state ideology, they see that they have made a huge mess of the world, that, as they themselves complain, social inequality persists, corporatism flourishes, and wars rage on. As the chief political architects of the 20th century in the West, they have no one to blame but themselves, and so they target us - the true liberals, the ones who never let go of authentic liberal idealism, love of the individual dignity and rights of every man, woman and child, regardless of nationality or class, and hatred of state violence and coercive authoritarianism in all its forms.
- Megan McCardle copes with shocking new evidence that voters prefer government handouts to higher taxes and lower spending (gasp!)
The Atlantic: Breaking: Voters Prefer Free Stuff to Higher Taxes, Lower Spending
- Chaos reigns: Minnesota state government shuts down
- Is Obama's call for ending tax breaks for corporate jets just a stalking horse for tax increases?
WSJ: GOP Attacks Obama’s Call for Ending Tax Breaks for Corporate Jets